We currently have an exciting vacancy for someone who is as passionate about our history as we are. We are seeking to recruit an Archive Assistant to work in our new office within Aberdeen Central Library where our collections are accessible to the public as well as our internal users.
This role assists in providing physical and intellectual access to archive material held in the Aberdeen Journals (AJL) photographic and press cuttings collection relating to the Press and Journal and Evening Express titles.
Working with the Archive Manager, the post holder will assist in the development of the collection in response to the strategic direction set by the Archive Manager to support the company’s needs.
The role’s main responsibilities are centred on providing a direct service to internal and external users, both in person and through email and telephone; digitising content as required and developing knowledge of the photographic and newspaper collections within the business to aid their exploitation.
The main duties of this position include:
- Responding to internal and external enquiries following agreed policies and procedures
- Making records available to users in appropriate formats i.e. hard copy and digital surrogates via scanning etc and supervising their use from members of the public
- Scanning archives and adding descriptive data to digitised materials
- Describing, cataloguing and indexing archive items including inputting information into databases
- Basic preservation work e.g. repackaging photographs
- Moving heavy boxes and other types of material
- Helping to organise displays, exhibitions and presentations
- Other clerical or administrative work needed to run the archive
- Undertake other duties and training as required by the manager
Closing date for applications is Sunday 25th August 2019
Knowledge & Experience
- An interest in and enthusiasm for the history of the areas covered by Aberdeen Journals Ltd’s titles
- Experience of using a scanner and using basic image editing software
- Experience of undertaking research and using archive resources
- Demonstrable customer service skills ideally in a public facing role
- Experience of working well and flexibly with people, especially in a small team
- A good standard of education with a qualification at English standard grade (or equivalent) or above
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office software, databases and image manipulation software
- Attention to detail
- Able to organise own workload and meet deadlines
- Able to lift and move heavy boxes
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 37.5 hours per week from our Aberdeen Office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, Health Cash Plan, Gym Discount, excellent Pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.